Training Nutrition - Advice from Mr Science in Sport Guru

Regular readers will know I'm lucky enough to be one of nine amateur 'athletes' selected for the Science in Sport Winter Academy.

Things started for real yesterday with a telephone conversation with SiS founder Tim Lawson. Fifty minutes later my motivation was fully topped-up and head was buzzing with ideas.

If you want to see Tim talking to a Tri magazine, watch the video below. If you want to read what Matt Fisher, another academy member, learnt from his chat with Tim, go here.

I've promised to share what I learn, but remember, this advice is geared to me. I'm mid 50s, 1.81m tall and since August dropped from 77.2kg to 74.3kg but aiming to loose more weight. 

If you want to know more about the training I'm doing, my background and experience to date, watch the video on this page.  I took extensive notes as Tim spoke and, as my BBC training taught me, wrote them up immediately afterwards.  

The notes I took immediately afterwards look like this.  These are followed by my more detailed explanation. Don't blame me if I've got any of this wrong - Tim's the expert, not me!


SUPPLEMENTS
CLA - good for fat loss.  Keep taking if it's working. I routinely take 3x 1000mg of Conjugated Linoleic Acid daily, and Tim told me there seems to be evidence it helps fat burning (as opposed to weight loss). So I'll keep taking it.

Suggest fish oil supplement. I don't eat meat but I do eat fish, roughly twice a week (salmon, trout, mackerel). Tim reckons I need more Omega 3 and recommends I take SiS Omega Shot.

Everyone should take vitamin D3. Living in north Scotland I've been concerned about our levels of Vitamin D, which comes from sunshine.

Confusingly, health experts disagree on the level that's needed for good health, and the RDA for supplements is very low compared to what many feel is needed. Tim privately told me the quantities of D3 supplement Pro riders are taking which is staggeringly more than the RDA.

While SiS don't have a commercial D3 product, Tim thoroughly supports the idea of D3 supplementation.

TRAINING
Fasted morning ride could be 60-90 mins.  Twice a week I've been riding 30min turbo sessions fasted, then doing a 20min core strength session, followed by breakfast of organic scrambled eggs. Tim suggested making the fasted ride longer to get greater adaption. But he warned against doing a strength session fasted as the body needs protein before such a work-out.

 SiS GoHydro Tabs in water & carry SiS GO Energy Gel 'just in case'. 
Depletion is good & forces adaption. My outdoor rides of up to an hour-and-a-half could also be done fasted. That was new.

Tim recommended I take the risk of feeling really hungry and drained. A little of this when training is good. Apparently.  But I should do the long ride fully fuelled and keep taking the 60-80g of carbs during that ride. So don't ride fasted all of the time.

Tim later emailed an article he'd co-authored analysing the current research on fasted training - riding 'low' (on carbs) but competing 'high' (again, on carbs... not anything else!)


The process isn't fully understood, but good results are being achieved through a fasted training session, followed by a protein meal, then a second training session. Follow-up with quality recovery, carbs and protein, and the results have been positive. Fascinating!

Seek advice of physiotherapist for core exercises. I know my core strength training could be better, but where to get advice without hiring a trainer?  The internet is full of stuff of suspect value and origin. Tim highly recommended suspension training, such a Red Cord, "like a gym ball  but ten times as powerful". 

My Norwegian friends tell me Red Cord is common in every physiotherapists practice in their country. While not splashing out on a suspension set just yet, I have booked to see a sports physiotherapist to advise on a good core work-out.  But as Tim warned, "make sure she knows the intensity you're looking for - you're not trying to recover from a bad back".  Not yet anyway.

DAILY NUTRITION
Meals are too high in carbs & too low in protein.  Liz and I eat healthy, home cooked, meat free meals.  I thought we had a perfect diet. But Tim's right, for training there's not enough protein.

He dismissed my regular breakfast of porridge, seeds and honey as "just a big bowl of carbs" and suggested I cut them down while adding 20g of protein to each meal . How do I do that? 

Egg white 7g protein.  Tim made one breakfast suggestion, a fry up!  1 egg with 2 egg whites, a slice of bacon (not for me), served on a big pile of fresh greens and a couple of oat cakes. "It fools you into thinking you've had a fry up", he said.

Protein into porridge (smaller portion)  If I want to stick with porridge, try a smaller portion and mix in some SiS REGO Protein powder. Or add an egg. To porridge?  Apparently, it is done.

For main meals I have to add more "meaty" protein - fish, tofu or other source, rather than filling the plate with pasta, rice and noodles.  "The pros use carbs as fuel", Tim explained. "Increase the amount on hard training days and cut right back on easier training days."

Cook with coconut oil  Tim is the third nutritionist I've heard recently talk about cooking with coconut oil. I've read a lot about this, and Kelli Jennings recommends it highly, mainly for the way it 'works' with the body.  I need to get some.

SiS REGO Night for evening munchies. I needed a strategy to stop late-evening snacking. Kelli has a recipe for a home-made evening shake, but the SiS REGO Night sounds a lot easier.

Tim reckons it gives the body a 'protein pool' to help overnight recovery, improve sleep, and help take some of the aches out of the legs on waking.

That's what I've learnt so far.  When the SiS products arrive I'll try to go through them on video and explain how I plan to use them. Just in time for Christmas eh?  The video below is the man himself.

2 Comments Here:

paddlingOTAKU said...

Ironically, I read this post, and this article about Scotland and vitamin D in the same day.

a little freaky if you ask me.

PO

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/10/orkney-islands-multiple-sclerosis-rate

Simon said...

I saw that too - Liz and I have had our levels tested. Simple online kit. I'm OK, Liz is way low.
S