Marcus Demuth

What a nice chap. Some paddler too.

Marcus Demuth has just paddled solo around mainland Britain. Not bad for someone who has been kayaking for just seven years. Same as me in fact...

In that time he has undertaken expeditions to (deep breath) Nova Scotia, Patagonia, Wales, Australia, Ireland (circumnavigation), Iceland, Falklands (first circumnavigation), and Tierra del Fuego.

I spent an enjoyable day with Marcus yesterday, recording two Podcasts about his extraordinary adventures.

The first will go live around 16th August at SeaKayakPodcasts.com with the second one coming at the start of September.

8 Comments Here:

paddlingOTAKU said...

So here is my question for him. The biggest hurdle in expeditioning, is not what you would expect - in my opinion. It's getting your kayak to and from your destination without it costing a small fortune. For instance, without sponsorship - and maybe he had it - how did he get his kayak to the falklands? or patagonia for that matter.

PO

Simon said...

Hi PO

Fortunately, I asked him all about this - I was looking for practical advice as well as narrative stories.

For the Falklands, he found a way to ship a regular kayak for £150 using the British military. BUt on many of the other expeds he uses a three-piece sectional Nordkapp.Again, we spend time talking about the practicalisites of travellng with this over-sized luggage.

1st September the Podcast will go live. There's also info about such kayaks on hs website.
http://marcusdemuth.com/3piece.aspx

S

Simon said...

Or even practicalities....

paddlingOTAKU said...

Simon I was doing my daily bike commute to work, and my iPod served up the podcast with Hayley Shephard. I was surprised when it came on, I didn't notice it in the most recent sync, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks.

PO

Simon said...

I love it when that sort of thing happens...

Glad you enjoyed it.
S

Justine said...

hi Simon! I look forward to hearing the podcasts!

Did you lend Marcus a shirt for that photo, or did he buy one!? I certainly didn't see anything that smart come out of his tiny dirty drybag of clothes that he took around Britain!

Hope all is well with you!

Justine

Simon said...

He looked AMAZINGLY smart when he stepped out of his rental car! Even leather shoes. He quite put me to shame.

Seems he ht the shops when he knew he'd be around towns for a while. Althugh he turned 'kayaker' again by asking "Do I smell too bad?" That's more like it.

S

Anonymous said...

You know you are smelly and look crusty when even the Highland sheep make a circle around you ... my sneakers wer ewet for almost 3 months and had a fungus growing inside, my fleece was still crusty even after having it washed twice, so I went ahead and bought a new outfit ... :-)