Wanna Know Where To Find a Superb, Secret Beach???

Fabulous sand, excellent view, great camping and no-one around for miles. I'll tell you exactly how to find this place below.

But should any of us do this sort of thing?

I've written about how things have changed regarding Bothy locations. At one time the MBA did not reveal their locations, now they have a clickable online map with grid references.

So why not beaches and camping spots for sea kayakers? Well it's obvious, isn't it?

Despite our claims to be independent spirits, many of us still seem to have a little bit of inner sheep. 'That place looks good', we think. 'Must go there'.

That's why my guidebook to the Scottish Sea Kayak Trail will give you all the information to successfully paddle from Gigha to the Summer Isles, but will not tell you where to camp or even land for lunch. In a couple of places (like the Sandaig Islands) it actively encourages you to look elsewhere. This leaves people to find their own adventure and doesn't create so-called 'honey-pot' areas.

And That's why I made a mistake when I tested the iPhone application Track My Tour.

There's nothing wrong with the application. It's a superb system.

But if it is used, as I did, to track a local sea kayak tour, it reveals the precise location of superb beaches, right down to the co-ordinates. I've now deleted the track.

This application has all sorts of uses for all sorts of tours. But please, not for logging general sea kayak outings on precious coasts.

Oh, and have you just scrolled down so I can tell you how to find that lovely beach I mentioned at the start? Well, it's easy. Start at Gigha and paddle north. You'll find it. In a few weeks.