Loch Linnhe

I'd forgotten how nice a simple, short kayak trip can be.

Five of us went out yesterday. In itself, that's unusual for us, as Liz and I almost always paddle together with no one else.

Two were relative beginners, but there was little wind and we picked a lovely section of Loch Linnhe. With four different types of kayak to choose from, it gave them a chance to see that suited them.

The P&H Cetus proved particularly popular. With three people facing long car trips we were off the water by 2:30 having covered very little distance. but that wasn't the point.

We'd seen a familiar coast through fresh eyes and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

7 Comments Here:

Anonymous said...

Ah Simon, I see you found Kuffagour Bothy. Its a belter isnt it? Bath and outside lo with a view!
Cheers Tonyp

Simon said...

Hi Tony
Good to hear from you. Yes it's a rather nice place, isn't it?

Which is why I haven't mention it or the other building a little further south. These things are much nicer when people just stumble across them.
S

Douglas Wilcox said...

I agree Simon, which is why I am not a great fan of Track My Tour
Douglas :o)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you both there.
Looks like the Loch Aline Bothy will be getting popular this summer- someone just wrote a rave review about a "secret" bothy and submitted it to the BBC. Oh well!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/glasgowandwestscotland/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_8631000/8631939.stm

TonyP

Douglas Wilcox said...

Oh dear, I must tell Misha to make sure his friends are more discrete! At least there were few clues to this bothy's whereabouts on his site.

:o)

Misha Somerville said...

Hello all,

yes, I tend to agree. The anonymity of some places does need to be protected. The actual location of the bothy hasn't been given away - nor has the name (unless there's a different bothy called Loch Aline bothy that I don't know about). There is only a vague mention of location in the article - no more is given away than the post above (Loch Aline is mentioned in the same capacity as Loch Linnhe), and certainly not more than the following comment. Without withholding all place names from articles we write in the future, I don't think it'll be possible for bothy locations to remain any more anonymous than this. We have a code which we publish on our site, and we review (we'd welcome your thoughts) - so it's certainly something we are thinking about as 'the countryside code' just doesn't cut it any more.

I also think there might be more to this issue than meets the eye - and I'm quite glad Simon has pulled it into the light. The 'last man in pull up the drawbridge' syndrome has been pretty harmful to the Highlands, and I'm not convinced it's healthy for an ageing bothy network (not to belittle the excellent work done by the MBA). The Bothies are a product of a time of greater activity in the Highlands, and with the current set-up I'm not convinced they can last. I think that in coming years it's going to be extremely difficult to keep locations 'off the record' and, although we view ourselves as responsible, we as a community of writers, photographers and bloggers have as much to do with that as anyone. I'm also convinced it's not a bad thing for keeping the bothies alive in the longer term.

Simon said...

Hi Misha

The comments following this post prompted me to write something specifically about blogging and bothies, in which I mentioned the BBC piece.

http://simon-willis.blogspot.com/2010/05/writing-about-bothies.html

You're right - we need to talk about this more. The world is changing.


S