Hyndland Bear

I'm pleased to see one of Glasgow's most famous residents is still hard at work, entertaining the good people of Hyndland.

When we lived in Glasgow we were quite taken with this chap, as it seems are many other people. This is the famous Hyndland Paddington Bear.

He was first pointed out to me by a cameraman I was working with in 1999. Paddington sits in the bay window above Peckhams, gazing out at the street below.

The postcards on the window alonside appear to come from all around the world. I don't know if he travels much himself, but people clearly think of him when they're far away.


His clothes change with the seasons too.

Currently, he's dressed for spring, although it didn't feel very spring-like when we were there on Monday.

Lots of rumours surround this bear.

I've heard the flat was sold, and the new owners had to agree to keep the (working) bear in place.

I've also heard he disappeared for a while in 2006, that it made the TV news (!) and it was the reaction of the public which helped to bring him back. Both may just be stories.  (SEE THE COMMENT BELOW)

Whatever is the case - he's still there. And I'm delighted he is. Oh, and despite the date - this is not an April Fool!