leaving Clashnessie Bay near Stoer early Sunday morning heading across
the Minch to Stornoway. With no ferries today it was the only way back
to their vehicle. This would be a huge crossing for me, and not one
I'd attempt in a forecast F7, but I haven't just paddled to the Faroes.
Posted Sunday, July 12, 2009
You could not make this up!
Big flash, loud band, odd smell. No phone and completely fried
broadband box. I hope it's better out in the Faroes.
I'll try to do this from my car down beside Loch Sunart with the
iPhone but I can't respond to comments on this, sorry.
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009
View Larger Map
I've just spoken to the Suderoy search boat team. They have spoken to Mick and Patrick who are 5.7nm from the coast of the Faroes. They are making slow progress against the tide. The boat team have yet to make visual contact.
Just before I spoke to Mick Berwick (see previous post), Patrick Winterton recorded an interview with BBC Radio Scotland. It was transmitted just before 7am on Good Morning Scotland. Here's a copy. If you're a media outlet you can download free images for web & print here.
Just recorded phone call with Mick and Patrick.
They estimate 45 nm to go but their progress is down to 2kn due to
unforecast wind. As we spoke they were inside their sleep system,
sheltering from a F5-6 wind which was making them rather wet.
Both sound very tired to me. Patrick reckons the muscles ache a bit
but he's prone to understatement! I've told them how many people
around the world are following their progress and cheering them on.
Patrick said they have some route decisions to make. At one stage he
also said they must decide whether to stick to their routine of eating
and resting each hour, or just pressing on. Then he said they really
should stick to the routine as they don't wish to become utterly
fatigued as they approach the difficult tides around the Faroes. I
told him that made good sense to me.
I asked mentally how they were feeling, and was told "no problems
there. Mick is still making me laugh. In fact we just had a very
entertaining toilet stop".
They're going to make it!
I've not heard from Mick and Patrick, but I have heard from Murdo
Campbell, cox of the Stormoway RNLI lifeboat.
Based on their Spot transmitter, he plots their position as 45-50
nautical miles off Sumba, as of 11am.
That's still a heck of a way to go, especially at their most tired and
as the tide becomes most difficult. However, the weather forecasts
look in their favour.
They expected the 300km trip to take 3 days from North Rona. So being
2/3 of the way after two days, with no following sea to help, is
pretty much on track.